Saturday, May 7, 2011

Poll Results - What Romance Genre do you Love to Read?

Thanks to everyone who took the time to vote on the poll about what romance genre you love to read. Fantasy/Paranormal took the lead from the beginning and kept it to the end. In the heat ratings 'Spicy' was a winner from the start. Luckily for me, I  write 'spicy' romance. Unluckily, I don't write fantasy although I have tremendous respect for those who do. The intracies of world building are truly astonishing, particularly as achieved by people such as New Zealander and NYT bestselling author, Nalini Singh.

A couple of weeks ago literary agent Rachelle Gardner surveyed readers of her blog to discover how many were writers and of those writers, what genre they wrote in. The largest percentage were Fantasy/Sci-Fi writers. Rachelle took this a step further and looked at fiction book deals as listed on Publishers Marketplace. At fifth place Fantasy/Sci-Fi was near the bottom for the surveyed months of April and October 2010.

Although these polls can't be seen as definitive it still makes interesting reading. Readers seem to want to read fantasy/paranormal/sci-fi and writers are writing in this genre but the publishing figures don't appear to mirror these trends. Take a look at Rachelle's blog to see what her readers made of these statistics - and of course I'd love your comments here too!

PS: the photo is of a random selection of books currently on my bookcase - not all of them romance!

2 comments:

  1. Paranormal Romance seems to be the mainstay these days - I think we can give Twilight a bit of credit for that :-) Personally, I like a little of everything.

    I'm a new follower from Book Blogs, so nice to meet you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Stacey. Paranormal certainly came out in front on my poll. Nice to meet you too and thanks for following!

    ReplyDelete